Friday, March 5, 2010

publication

I spent a bit of time the other night at Tor publishing’s website (www.tor.com) to look at their submission guidelines for adult fantasy novels.  Interestingly enough, they actually only want the first 3 chapters (10,000 words or less) submitted, along with a cover letter which gives a synopsis of the novel as a whole. 

I’m well past that point now, and I’ve actually been thinking about submitting what I have, or at least the first bit of it, so I can start getting it on some editors’ desks.  I’ve certainly got enough material.  The problem I’m struggling with is that I don’t have a solid outline for my book.  Much of what I have been writing is just coming to me as I write.  So, even though I have a general idea about where the book is headed, I don’t know that I have enough specificity to satisfy a would-be publisher.

But, I think that' may need to change.  I REALLY (and when I say really, I mean more almost than anything I’ve ever wanted) want to get my manuscript to some publishers.  I think I'm starting to accept the fact that the vast majority of authors don’t actually get published their first time.  Brandon Sanderson wrote 13 novels before he was published.  I’ve always just sort of thought that if I could just make myself finish my book, I could get published.  But, I know it’s not that easy.  I’m looking at this first book as a practice book.  I’ll get something put together.  Send it in.  Get some constructive feedback, hopefully, and I’ll know what I need to do better the next time.

The one thing I have realized, though, is that writing is for me.  The more I write, the more I want to write.  The more ideas pop into my head.  The more I can see myself doing nothing but. 

I can’t even imagine how great it would be to be able to write full time because I’m making enough off a prior book or books to not have to work anymore.  That, my friends, would be perfection!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment