Saturday, October 31, 2009

a predicament

As I mentioned earlier, I never outline my stories and have no idea where the plot is going until I type it. However, with my newest novel I've started making notes as I go, and now I'm at a crossroads where I have several different ways of taking the story where I want it to go. I feel a little stuck because I don't know which way is best.

I was reading the acknowledgments page in a new book that I bought, and the author mentioned all of his focus groups and alpha readers and their input. I've never really thought of asking others for help on how to develop the story or for ideas on where to go. Writing has always been a very solitary idea in my mind. I'm starting to discover that the really good authors rely on many people for help. I'm so protective of what I write. So worried that people will criticize before my story is even done. I guess I need to get used to that because the criticisms certainly will come once its done.

New goal: have some people read my budding manuscript and elicit their ideas, thoughts, criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment