Sunday, February 28, 2010

trudging along

I'm happy to report that things are actually coming along quite nicely. I still haven't sat down and completed any sort of a comprehensive outline, but I have made some great progress on the book. I'm 4 chapters in now, and things are really getting exciting (not that they haven't been from the beginning). But, it's amazing how the creative juices start flowing if you just sit down and start writing. It's actually dominated my thoughts of late.

I remember when I was little and Christmas would be coming that I would start having dreams during the couple weeks before that it was here. I would open all my presents and be so excited, and then I would wake up and it was all gone. I was so disappointed to learn it was a dream and that I had to wait longer. Well, the same thing happened to me the other night with my book. I dreamed I met an editor at Barnes and Noble who loved my book and bought it immediately. I was so excited to be getting published that I couldn't believe it. When I woke up in the morning I was so disappointed. LOL. Such is life. Hopefully, as with the Christmas dreams, this will also come to fruition.

I forced myself to sit down over the weekend and read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I've always intentionally avoided that book because there was such a bandwagon sort of feel about it. But, I've just heard to much about the writing style and creativity that I made myself. It was, I must say, AMAZING. I really missed out by waiting so long to read it. I'm normally not a sci-fi guy (hardcore fantasy here), but I'm definitely looking forward to reading his follow ups.

In any event, I've introduced a new POV character into my book who is going to be one of a couple antagonists. The evil religious zealot. I'm very excited about him. I still don't know exactly where he's going, but his involvement at this point appears to be secured. Of course, given my history, you never know. He may get written out next week. :)

Word of the day: BICHOC (butt in chair hands on keyboard). Got it from Brandon Sanderson's podcast, writing excuses, available here: www.writingexcuses.com. Very good stuff.

I have been toying around with the idea of listing this site on my facebook page so that many people I know can find it. I've also thought of actually posting online chapters to start garnering a bit of a following. I don't know what to think about that yet, though. We'll have to see how things come along.

Wish me luck. More updates to follow.

PS - if you haven't seen it before, make sure to check out www.schlockmercenary.com. Hilarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment